Great Works Regional Land Trust works to conserve the value of our natural, historic, agricultural, forestry, scenic and recreational resources.
Our main activities are holding property and conservation easements,and promoting the need and value of conservation.
- Total acres conserved to date = 4,285
- 87 projects completed
- Acres owned = 1,779
- Acres under easement = 1,689
- Acres conserved through partnership or passed onto another organization = 817
Find out more about our focus areas
Great Works Regional Land Trust currently maintains trails for public access on eleven of our properties:
- Orris Falls Conservation Area (Thurrell Road, South Berwick)
- Bauneg Beg Mountain Conservation Area (Fox Farm Hill Road, North Berwick)
- Douglas Memorial Woods (State Road, Eliot)
- Beach Plum Farm (Route One, Ogunquit)
- Grover-Herrick Conservation Area (West Fifth Street, North Berwick)
- Neguatquet Conservation Area (Lebanon Road, North Berwick)
- Kenyon Hill Preserve, Berwick Road (South Berwick)
- Grant's Meadow at Beaver Dam Heath (Diamond Hill Road, Berwick)
- Richard E. Payeur Conservation Area (Berwick Road, Ogunquit)
- Tuckahoe Preserve (Hubbard Road, Berwick)
- The Raymond & Simone Savage Wildlife Preserve (Route 101, South Berwick on Eliot line)
Find out more about our public places, including directions and trail maps .
At any given time, GWRLT can have between 10-20 projects underway. Many take years, sometimes decades to complete. Below are projects, where agreements have been reached with landowners and which are on the horizon for completion in the next 12 to 18 months:
Deb-Tone Farm: 20 acres in North Berwick. A purchased conservation easement with 50% of acquisition dollars committed by the federal Farm and Ranchland Protection Program. This is a keystone parcel in the 500+ acre complex of working fields and forests of Cabbage Hill. Public Campaign underway.
Mt. Agamenticus Wetlands: 2 parcels totalling 52 acres of sensitive wetlands, vernal pools and river frontage. Fee purchase supported by the Maine Natural Resources Conservation Program includes bargain sale.
Beaver Dam Heath: 32 acres adjacent to Grants Meadow I & II. Fee purchase with bargain sale. Palustrine wetlands with upland and road frontage to support 3 houselots. Awaiting funding.